SB Beautiful announces 'GOLDEN LEAF AWARDS' Winners
Celebrating 55 years of Beautification
Keeping Santa Barbara Beautiful during Covid-19
It is with great pleasure we announce that SB Beautiful will continue an unbroken 55-Year tradition of honoring outstanding beautification efforts by local individuals, businesses, and organizations with a virtual celebration of the unique “Golden Leaf Awards.”
We’re honored to celebrate our 55th Anniversary with Golden Leaf Awards – dedicated to the strength of our community & the individuals who have given joy to our city during these difficult times of Covid-19. Congratulations to each and everyone!
~ Penny Haberman, President, Santa Barbara Beautiful
We present to you the 2020 Golden Leaf Awards Winners
WINNING PROJECTS & PARTICIPANTS:
“Light It Blue”: City of Santa Barbara – Nina Johnson, Project Coordinator
- Project Description: Local landmarks lit up in blue during the month of May to show gratitude to healthcare & essential workers
- Host Facility Sponsors: Arlington Theater; Lobero Theater; SB Museum of Natural History Sea Center; Cottage Hospital Santa Barbara; Mission Santa Barbara
- Coordinators / Artists / Sponsors: Andrew Gartner, Gartner Design Co. (Coordinator); Lani Ballonoff, SPARK Creative Events (Sponsor); Kym Cochran & Jonathan Smith, The Environment Makers (Participating Artists); Casey Caldwell, SB Arts Collaborative/CAW) (Sponsor); Jake Hanson, Bella Vista Designs (Sponsor); Ethan Turpin Art & Design (Participating Artist); Nina Dunbar (Coordinator)
“Locals Helping Locals”: Allen Construction – Lindsay Helmick, CFO Project Coordinator
- Project Description: Building Pro Bono Outdoor Parklets; Seating; ADA Ramps, etc.
- Community Partners: Hayward Lumber; Mission Audio & Visual; CJM:LA; Evergreen SB
- Local Businesses: Brass Bear Brewing & Bistro; Dune Coffee; Holdren’s Steaks & Seafood; Kunin Wines; Little Kitchen; Mollie’s Restaurant; Renaud’s Patisserie & Bistro Montecito; Restaurant Roy; Valley Project; Villa Wine Bar.
“AIA SB 2020 Design Charette – Downtown State Street”: AIA Santa Barbara Chapter. Project Coordinator
- Project Description: Reinvigorate, Reinvent, Reimagine, and Repurpose our Downtown with housing, energy, and life.
- Charrette Committee Co-Chairs: Cassandra Ensberg FAIA & LEED AP; Detlev Peikert AIA, LEED AP BD+C; Ellen Bildsten AIA LEED AP; Matt Beausoleil AIA & 2020 president AIA SB.
- Steering Committee: Alex Pujo AIA; Amy Fitzgerald-Tripp AIA; Paul Rupp AIA; Dennis Thompson FAIA; John Campanella; Karen Feeney, Hon. AIASB; Nina Johnson; Tony Tomasello; Jasper Jacobs P.E.
“2020 Awards for Responsive Works to Covid-19~Artists’ Stipends”: County of SB Office of Arts & Culture – Project Coordinator ~ Sarah York Rubin, Executive Director
- Project Description: In recognition of artists’ essential social contributions, up to 20 stipends of $500 each to local artists who created work in response to this unprecedented time of COVID-19.
- Project Participants: Dennis Smitherman, County Arts Commission; Karen Kerns, SB Bowl Foundation
“#WeMakeEvents Campaign / #RedAlertRESTART” Event
- Project Description: Nationwide event of Red illumination of performing arts & culture venues on September 1, 2020 in support of live entertainment industry during Covid-19 pandemic.
- Host Facility Sponsors: SB Bowl: Rick Boller, Executive Director; Eric Shiflett, Program Director. Arlington Theater: Tammy Steuart (Metro Theaters)
- Project Coordinator: Christopher Darling
Light It Blue
About Santa Barbara Beautiful
Since 1965, Santa Barbara Beautiful has planted over 12,000 trees and provided over $500,000 in grants to support local art and design projects, funded scholarships to students majoring in environmental horticulture & architectural design; celebrated numerous individuals, residences, and businesses that have demonstrated exceptional efforts to make Santa Barbara beautiful.
The purpose of Santa Barbara Beautiful is to stimulate community interest and action toward the enhancement of Santa Barbara’s beauty as a complement to current and future government and private activity.
Santa Barbara Beautiful is an organization of volunteers dedicated to beautifying our area in a variety of ways not only by working independently but also by cooperating with city departments, neighborhood associations, and other agencies. Formed in 1965 by concerned civic leaders, Santa Barbara Beautiful is a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation. Contributions are tax-deductible.