Golden Leaf Awards 2021 Winners Announced
Santa Barbara, California. August 19, 2021. For immediate release.
Dear Friends of Santa Barbara Beautiful:
It is with great pleasure we announce the Winners of the 2021 Golden Leaf Awards. Since 1965, the Board of Directors has maintained a tradition of recognizing outstanding achievements in community beautification through collaboration.
This year we honor 29 outstanding recipients who collaborated to produce three outstanding community projects. As Santa Barbara Beautiful President Deborah L. Schwartz summarized, “These winning projects epitomize the strength of collaboration to produce worthy outcomes.” Certificates of Award will be issued to the individual Winners in September.
Santa Barbara Beautiful is pleased to present the 2021 Golden Leaf Awards to the following winners:
2021 PRESIDENT’S AWARD: HEATH HOUSE
Housing for Formerly Homeless Women
The historic Heath House building, which previously served as a hospice for AIDS patients, had fallen into extensive disrepair. The building was purchased by PSHH (People’s Self Help Housing) in 2020 and led to the opportunity for the organization to restore and extensively rehabilitate the cherished community landmark as a haven for formerly homeless women.
- Ken Trigueiro, CEO & President, People’s Self-Help Housing
- Dalia Flores, Project Manager – Development, People’s Self-Help Housing
- Darya Oreizi, Project Manager – Construction, People’s Self-Help Housing
- Rob Pearson, PSHH Board Champion
- Adele Rosen, Interior Designer, Adele Rosen Design
- Barbara Allen, Valued Community Member
Heath House Funding Partners
City of Santa Barbara: Lucy Graham and Laura Dubbels
County of Santa Barbara: Ted Teyber and Roc Lowry
City of Santa Barbara Housing Authority: Rob Fredericks
County of Santa Barbara Housing Trust Fund: Jennifer McGovern
State of California, Department of Housing & Community Development (HCD): Kathy Michaud
Santa Barbara Foundation: Jackie Carrera, President & CEO; Gary Clark, Director of the Collaboration for Social Impact
SBEE Garden Project
Project Description: Santa Barbara Ecological and Edible Garden Project (SBEE Garden Project) ”Supporting and Honoring Biological and Cultural Diversity through Ecological Edible Gardens”
- Geoff Green, Chief Executive Officer, Santa Barbara City College Foundation
- Adam Green, Professor of Biology and Environmental Studies ,Santa Barbara City College
- Daniel Parra Hensel, Instructor of Environmental Horticulture, Santa Barbara City College
- Lindsay Johnson, Executive Director, Explore Ecology
- The Somos Semillas Program, El Centro Santa Barbara
- Hugh Kelly, Board President, Mesa Harmony Garden
- Denise Knapp, Director of Conservation and Research, Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
- Jesse Gonzalez, Club Director Westside Unit, United Boys & Girls Clubs of Santa Barbara County
- Brad Smith, Youth Drought Project
- Rachel Johnson, Chief Program Officer, The Foundation for Santa Barbara City College
POETRY WITH WINGS!
Project Description: In honor of Poetry Month & Earth Day this Spring 3rd, 4th, and 6th graders in Santa Barbara created poetry and art to bring attention to the plight of the monarch butterflies.
- Larry J. Feinberg, Robert and Mercedes Eichholz, Director and CEO, Santa Barbara Museum of Art
- Kristy Thomas and Tina Villadolid, Santa Barbara Museum of Art
- Cie Gumucio, Poets in the Schools, Santa Barbara
- Scott Pipkin, Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
Photo credits, 2021 Golden Leaf President’s Award—Heath House
From Left to Right:
Rene Nateras, Maintenance Technician, PSHH; Omead Poure, Portfolio Manager, PSH; Adele Rosen, Adele Rosen Design; Mireya Rojas, Property Manager, PSHH; Ken Trigueiro, President & CEO, PSHH; Efrain Perez, Maintenance Technician, PSHH; Deborah L. Schwartz, President, Santa Barbara Beautiful; Rob Pearson, PSHH Champion; Librada Gallardo, Housekeeper, PSHH